gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
49032 Posts in 2527 Topics by 4578 Members - Latest Member: Barbizius September 21, 2018, 06:45:54 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Blood Ravens Build
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Blood Ravens Build  (Read 23381 times)

Offline Ronan

• Marine
  • :
Blood Ravens Build
« on: June 06, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »
I was poking around on the internet, looking for ideas for an upcoming comicon when I stumbled upon his site.  never even heard of pepakura before and now I'm hooked.  You guys make some really awesome builds and seem really helpful with info.  I found a good pattern yesterday, printed out a helm, went to walmart, got a foam pad and went to town.  I have a really crude looking helm after a few hours of work.  Thanks to some tips I've found, once I trim it up and fill in some cracks I'll post pics.  My plan is to make a foam helm and then make a pep one, with the Rondo instructions to see which I like best.

edit WG:  Changed Title per OP request.

Offline CLOTHAR

• Company Champion
  • :
Blood Ravens Build
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 12:57:00 AM »
Welcome.  I think you have a good idea to make a few different models to try out different methods.  Nothing worse than getting half way through a build then finding out you don't like your method.

Offline Ronan

• Marine
  • :
Blood Ravens Build
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
Ok so here I am after 3 hours.  I spent some time on it last night but forgot to take pics.  Since these pics, I trimmed the foam a little, added more to the mouth section and filled in some gaps and skim coated calk over most of it.  I don't know why I did the skim coat, I just kind of got carried away.  So my question is there are still some areas that are not as crisp that could use some filler.  especially around the ear areas and main head section. I thought of making some Rondo and coating the whole thing a few more times then sand it out to be more smooth.  I'm also only about 5$ worth of investment, so I could just start over and be more careful with cutting the foam.

Any thoughts?

Salvage or start over?

Offline Colin

• Brother-Captain
  • Marine
  • :
Blood Ravens Build
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
I think a lot of resins, glues, and fillers would eat that blue stuff up or at the very least not take well.

I highly recommend going the Pepakura printing route. It's a beginner's best friend for armor building in my opinion. Just be sure to take your time, and make small investments like you have been, or you'll be stepping into a money pit. [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='ohmy.gif' />

Offline Ronan

• Marine
  • :
Blood Ravens Build
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
Thanks, yeah I need to try again and not at 1am in the morning and take my time.

Offline Ronan

• Marine
  • :
Blood Ravens Build
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
Ok so I redid it with pep prints, did the resin on the outside, did Rondo on the inside.  Now I've found many different answers on what to do on the outside.  Should I use just Bondo, a thinker Rondo or thinner Rondo?

Offline khaynne

• Marine
  • :
Blood Ravens Build
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
i used rondo fr every coat on the outside except for the very last coating, that one i used straight bondo and applied it with an old credit card to fill in holes without making a ton more work for me to sand it off, alot of people say bondo is the way to go but to me rondo is easier because its mostly self leveling and flows into cracks and holes pretty easily

Offline Ronan

• Marine
  • :
Blood Ravens Build
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
Thanks that's what I ended up doing, I put a coat of Rondo on it last night, but I think it was a bit too thick.  Going to be sanding it down tonight.  Also started on the chest piece using the fatigue mat foam.  It cuts and glues a lot better then the blue stuff.

Offline Ronan

• Marine
  • :
Blood Ravens Build
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
Ok here is where I'm at.  Got the chest and codpiece glued together.  Also still need to grind down the helm and finish that up.  The black helm is the original one I did out of foam, I just painted it and gave it to my son, just used it for showing someone in the pic.

Offline Ronan

• Marine
  • :
Blood Ravens Build
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
Another thing I can't find a good answer to is.  How can I fill in bigger gaps on the foam after sanding?  I've seen people use elmer's glue for the smaller areas.  Can I use bondo or rondo?  I need something I can sand after applying.

Offline DBmike

• Initiate
  • :
Blood Ravens Build
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 04:15:00 AM »
Another thing I can't find a good answer to is. How can I fill in bigger gaps on the foam after sanding? I've seen people use elmer's glue for the smaller areas. Can I use bondo or rondo? I need something I can sand after applying.

Whenever i've had gaps I used a silicone sealer (the type of stuff you might use in the bathroom) and that fills gaps well and allows you to plastidip straight over the top.
If you haven't seen them already I have a few videos for foam tutorials on youtube, heres the links:
Video 1 http://youtu.be/6mlr5rpcKE0
Video 2 http://youtu.be/VpYCoCJ7Mn8

Hope that helps [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

You are off to a great start though so keep it up!

Offline Ronan

• Marine
  • :
Blood Ravens Build
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »
Thanks Mike, Those videos answered a few questions.  I got the arms done last night.  I do have to redo my helmet yet again.  It turned out to be slightly too small.

Offline DBmike

• Initiate
  • :
Blood Ravens Build
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
Glad I could help! It's always a pain when you have to rebuild something but it can open new doors, maybe go for a slightly different helmet design you prefer?
I just had to rebuild my torso so instead of the standard SM torso I've built a terminator torso [img]http://i6.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

Offline Ronan

• Marine
  • :
Blood Ravens Build
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
Yeah I'm looking at different designs.  The problem is I got a big head, so its hard to judge scale.  The last one fit well when it was just paper, but once i did a slush coat on the inside it was a little too close to my nose.  I think what i'm going to do is try foam again and dry fit the parts with tape.  Then trim as I need to before gluing.

Offline DBmike

• Initiate
  • :
Blood Ravens Build
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 07:36:00 AM »
I hear ya! I too was blessed with a large head!
if you get some duct tape and a balaclava you could make yourself a rough dummy of your head, just fill it with expanding foam so it keeps its shape.
That way you can accurately measure the dimensions of your head

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  Blood Ravens Build

gfxgfx
gfx gfx